All-Conference shortstop Chris Minaker
Postseason competition begins tomorrow with Stanford and N.C. State getting everything started from Disch-Falk Field. On the eve of NCAA Tournament play, check out various notes and statistics from all of the teams in the Austin Regional. The Cardinal and Wolfpack are scheduled for a 9:00 A.M. (PDT) first pitch on Friday morning.
Tex NC St
Record 40-19 38-21
1st T6th T5th 5th
24-4 N/A N/A N/A
Road/Neutral Record N/A 14-14 13-13
Batting Average .297
.335 .279 .287
Runs Per Game 6.5
8.8 5.4 5.6
Home Runs 41 51
Slugging % .443 .484
On-Base % .384 .426
Stolen Bases 76 42
4.37 4.39 5.64
Walks/9 Inn. 3.9 4.0
Strikeouts/9 Inn. 7.4 6.9 7.2
Home Runs Allowed 19 44 37
Opponents Average .253 .273 .281 .314
Fielding % .967 .970
* The starting pitching matchup for Friday's opener is in.
Greg Reynolds (6-5, 3.47 ERA) will match-up with N.C. State
right-hander Gib Hobson (9-1, 4.60 ERA).
* The Cardinal have a number of hot hitters. Chris Lewis is
batting at a .434 clip (23-for-53, 5 HR, 19 RBI) in his last 13 games
while Jason Castro is at .370 (2 HR, 7 RBI) during the same
stretch. Freshman DH Grant Escue has also come out nowhere to
post a .481 batting average in those last 13 games.
* As a team, Stanford is hitting .315 while scoring 6.9 runs per
contest in their last 13 games.
* Stanford needs to hit three more home runs to avoid becoming the
first Cardinal team in 20 years (1986) to not reach the 40
plateau. The Cardinal are 11-1 in games in which they've hit two
or more home runs.
* Mark Marquess needs one win this weekend to tie former Georgia
Southern coach Jack Stallings for 12th on the all-time list.
Marquess has won 1,254 games in his 30 years as head coach.
* Stanford has never played N.C. State prior to competition this
* N.C. State has now made four consecutive trips to the NCAA
Tournament. They went just 1-2 in a regional hosted by Nebraska
last June. The school's lone College World Series appearances was
in 1968 (lost to USC in the semifinals).
* The Wolfpack had six players named to the All-ACC team - the most of
any club in the conference (that includes national seeds Clemson and
Georgia Tech). Matt Camp (.387, 2 HR, 42 RBI) and Ramon Corona
(.363, 6 HR, 57 RBI) were named to the First Team. Aaron Bates
(.338, 9 HR, 50 RBI), Jonathan Diaz (.270, 1 HR, 29 RBI), Caleb Mangum
(.367, 4 HR, 34 RBI), and Jon Still (.347, 6 HR, 53 RBI) received
Second Team recognition. That's 2/3 of N.C. State's probable
* Chris Minaker (.346, 11 HR, 64 RBI) was Stanford's lone selection to
the 20-man All-Pac-10 Team. Chris Lewis, Matt Manship, and Greg
Reynolds garnered Honorable Mention recognition.
* The ace right-hander made 16 starts during the regular season
pitching into the sixth inning in every appearance. He's pitched
at least 7 2/3 innings on seven occasions.
* Reynolds has thrown complete games in four out of his last five
* Reynolds allowed three earned runs or fewer in 13 of his 16 starts (7
ER vs. USC on April 1st, 4 ER at Arizona on April 21st, 6 ER at UCLA on
* The 111 2/3 innings pitched is far and away tops on the club (Matt
Manship - 66).
* Reynolds was recently tabbed as the #4 overall pick (Pittsburgh Pirates) in Baseball America's mock
first round of the upcoming draft.
* N.C. State's #1 starting pitcher was a teammate of Reynolds'
last summer in the Cape Cod League (Bourne Braves).
* In his last nine appearances, Hobson is 5-0 with a 2.98 ERA spanning
48 1/3 innings. That was followed a stretch of six games when his
ERA was a whopping 11.21 (22 ER/17.2 IP).
* In his last start (opener of the ACC Tournament), Hobson allowed a
three-run home run in the first inning to North Carolina. He then
went on to complete the contest with no more runs surrendered en route
to a 9-3 victory. The complete game for Hobson was his first of
the year. He defeated possible #1 overall pick Andrew Miller as
part of the victory.
* Hobson owns a career 5.17 ERA.
TEXAS VS. UT-ARLINGTON
* The defending national champion Longhorns are the #3 national
seed. Last year, Texas had to go on the road for the super
regionals defeating Mississippi as a non-national seed. They then
went on to sweep through the College World Series en route to their
sixth championship in school history.
* Texas has lost only four home games in 28 attempts this year.
One of those losses though came to UT-Arlington as the Mavericks posted
a 6-3 victory on April 11th.
* The Longhorns were swept in their final regular season series (by
Missouri - the #4 seed in the Malibu Regional), but did win their final
eight home games.
* UT-Arlington, one of only three teams in the field with a sub-.500
overall record (UNC Asheville, Princeton) were the surprise winner of
the Southland Conference Tournament. A fifth place finisher in
the regular season behind McNeese State, UT-San Antonio, Texas State,
and Lamar, the Mavericks fought through the losers bracket of the
conference tourney. After an opening loss to Texas State,
UT-Arlington won four games in a row over the next three days to claim
the automatic berth.
* UT-Arlington has a 3-14 record this year against teams in the NCAA
Tournament (Feb. 17 vs. Oral Roberts, Mar. 1 at Hawaii, Apr. 11 at
* The lowest ERA for a UT-Arlington pitcher is 4.62.
* First pitch between the Longhorns and Mavericks is scheduled for 1:00
P.M. (PDT) on Friday.
* All games of the Austin Regional will be televised live on
ESPNU. Former Stanford All-American Kyle Peterson will handle the
* Stanford's contest versus N.C. State on Friday morning (11:00 A.M.
CDT first pitch) will kick-off the entire NCAA Tournament.
* Weather permitting, the Cardinal are scheduled to work-out at
Disch-Falk Field on Thursday afternoon. Making the full
adjustment to the time change will be key for Friday's opener.
Stanford will likely have to arrive at the ballpark two hours before
gametime for batting practice which is essentially 7:00 A.M. on the
* Disch-Falk is an all astroturf field with a seating capacity of
6,649. The dimensions are 340 feet down the left field line and
325 feet down the right field line. It's 375 to the power alleys
and 400 to center.
* Weather could be an issue on Friday with isolated thunderstorms in
the forecast. High temperatures during the opening day of the
regional will sit in the mid-to-upper 80's. Sunny skies are
expected for the remaining three days with temperatures topping out in