* Junior LHP Mark Romanczuk has signed with the Arizona Diamondbacks. About
$300K from what I understand. The deal was basically agreed to before the
selection, thus the over-draft.
* Junior RHP Pete Duda has also signed with the D-Backs.
* Junior RHP Jeff Gilmore is playing for a summer team in the Pacific
Southwest League. I've been away from the team since the NCAA Regionals (and the
draft) ended, but in the week leading up to the draft, the expectation was that
Gilmore would return for his senior year. A 31st round selection should not
* Junior catcher John Hester is slated to go back to Alaska. He should be a
nice senior sign. I know he was a bit banged up all year long (nothing nearly as
serious as Sam Fuld or Carlos Quentin; just a lot of bumps and bruises for the
catcher). Hester could really be huge in '06 and maybe the key to the entire
offense. He might play a lot of outfield this summer to avoid the rigors of
* Freshman RHP Nolan Gallagher is taking off the summer, instead of going to
the Cape. Has had a history of injury issues in the past (yet the numbers were
still awfully impressive this season). He's giving himself a chance to rest up
and work out from home for a few months before September rolls around. For those
making lineup/rotation projections for '06, Nolan Gallagher should be right at
the forefront. If everything holds up healthwise, this guy should (and will be
given every opportunity) to throw 100+ innings each of the next two seasons. He
has first round potential, for sure.
* Junior RHP Matt Manship, junior shortstop Chris Minaker, and junior
outfielder Chris Lewis are all headed to the Hawaii Summer League.
Are you fully subscribed to The
Bootleg? If not, then you are missing out on all
the top Cardinal coverage we provide daily on our website, as
well as our full-length feature articles in our glossy magazine.
Sign up today for the biggest and best in Stanford sports
coverage with TheBootleg.com
and The Bootleg Magazine (sign-up)!